What is SEO? SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization. Search engines like Google, Bing, and Yahoo all have algorithms that rank web pages based on what they determine is most relevant to users. SEO is any activity that improves rankings, drives traffic, and increases awareness organically in search engines. It is critical to know what factors affect and improve SEO, and what trends are occurring as it is constantly evolving.
Top SEO Trends in 2018:
1. Structured markup: In order for search engines to understand your content, use structured data in HTML formatting. Schema markup – the preferred method of markup for Google and other search engines – is code put into websites to help search engines give the best results to customers.
2. Mobile Friendly Content: By the end of 2018, mobile usage to websites is expected to be ⅔ of all traffic. With the majority of traffic drifting away from desktops to mobile, Google has officially announced mobile friendliness and page speed are ranking factors in their algorithm. Check out this blog post for 6 tips on how to optimize your website for mobile.
3. Page speed: Google puts a lot of weight on user experience in their algorithm. A big part of that is page speed. Research shows 53% of users leave a site that takes more than 3 seconds to load and 61% of users are less likely to buy products. Don’t let your conversions decrease because your site won’t load, consider using an AMP platform to build optimized web pages.
4. Voice search: With mobile devices and digital assistants on the rise – think Google Home, Siri, and everyone’s favorite Alexa – valuable content will have a more conversational tone that can answer user’s questions correctly. Currently, 20% of all searches come from voice search, and that number is expected to increase through 2018. To optimize, focus on long-tail keywords and everyday language.
5. Video: A study by Cisco predicts by 2021, 82% of all consumer internet traffic will be through video. Keep in mind, YouTube is the second largest search engine in the world, so having optimized video content will significantly improve your SEO.
6. Longer content: A surprising SEO trend is longer content performing better than shorter content. Pages with over 1,500 words are doing better in rankings and gaining more organic traffic. With lower bounce rates, more backlinks, and social shares, consider how many words your content has.